Learner, Explorer, and Instructional Guide from New York, currently based in Bloomington IN. Seeking my next opportunity for adventure, no matter where that is!
I began my educational career in the Brentwood Union Free School District, where I earned my High School Diploma (with math and science distinction). I then attended the State University of New York, College at Potsdam, earning a B.A. in History. Following this, I continued my education at SUNY Potsdam, first earning a Masters Degree in the Science of Teaching (MST) in Secondary Social Studies Education, and then a Masters Degree in the Science of Education (MSEd) in Educational Technology. After working in at the Potsdam Central School District in Potsdam, NY as a Teacher's Aide, I decided to then attended Indiana University, completing Ph.D. coursework in the Instructional Systems Technology Department studying student-centered methods of instruction, and the technology supporting them, before seeking other opportunities
Learning and Exploring
Growing up, I was a very enthusiastic learner. I questioned everything I could, and explored as often as I could. Since I was young, I have had the opportunity to explore the American Southwest as part of a Navajo Cultural Exchange class, participate in several award-winning Choirs, and learn to build things with my hands. Some quick examples:
- Travel the Navajo Reservation as part of a Cultural Exchange
- Perform with the Brentwood High School Choir (Brentwood, NY) and Crane Chorus (Crane Schoo lof Music, Potsdam, NY)
- Lead the HoosierRide Scooter Club (Bloomington, IN)
- Build some cool Arduino Projects
- Learn to play the Hammered Dulcimer via Youtube Videos
- Many other things that I can list later
Guiding and Teaching
Most of my focus has not been only only learning, exploring, and experiencing, but has been on guiding others. This call to service to help others began when I was young, and has blossomed as the years pass. From being a youth leader in Boy Scouts as a teen, to a certified teacher, my desire to help others attain their goals has become paramount in my self-identity. Some quick examples:
- NYS Certified Teacher 2009-2016 (Secondary Social Studies with 5/6 extension)
- Tutoring Experience in European History, Economics
- Master's Degrees in Secondary Education (SUNY Potsdam, 2009) and Educational Technology (SUNY Potsdam, 2011)
- PhD Coursework in Instructional Systems Technology (Indiana University, Bloomington)
- Associate Instructor in Educational Technology (Indiana Unviersity, Bloomington, 2011-2014)
- Certified Motorcycle Skills Test Evaluator, Indiana
My own educational philosophy, research, and practice has had a focus on technology-enhanced, student-centered methodologies. Scholars such as Barrows, Brush, Dewey, Hannafin, Kilpatrick, Merrill, and Vygotsky have guided my interests in student centered methodologies which utilize technology such as Problem-based learning, Project-based learning, and Service Learning.
If you would like to learn more about my educational philosophy, and how it has molded me as an educator, please see my Candidate's Statement of my Doctoral Dossier from my time at Indiana University.